I can't concentrate on my studies

 Answer by Mehtab Khanam, Professor, Department of Education and Counseling Psychology, Dhaka University.



Defense: I am a 20 year old girl. I have been suffering from big problems for several days. My university admission test ahead. I can't concentrate on reading anything. Not in anything else. The deaths of two of my relatives in a very short span of three or four months have had a profound effect on me. In my mind, the fear of death has gradually grown larger. Whenever you go to sleep or get a little sick, your body becomes restless. I will understand now and die. Apart from that, the body is also broken for several days and the mind is broken. Nowadays, I have lost all my self-confidence and morale and am only suffering from frustration and depression every day. Nothing feels good and I have given up all hope in life. What do I do now?


Reluctant to disclose name


Answer: It is very normal for the things you are worried about to happen. The physical and mental challenges that people around the world have been going through for the last 10 months have not been felt collectively in the last 100 years. We didn't have to worry so much about ourselves, family members, relatives, friends. I am falling into the trouble of losing the people close to me at every moment. You too have lost two relatives in a short time. It's normal to not be able to concentrate on reading from so many things, but your mind doesn't want to accept it.


These things are making you anxious about the coming days. You are under a lot of stress because you are not able to plan your future properly from the house arrest. But the thing that bothers you the most right now is the thought of ‘dying’ when you go to sleep or get sick.


Looks like you're having a panic attack, which is really hard. Although no one has died from this type of symptom to date, it is still difficult to deal with.


Some people around your age have been talking about such symptoms since the beginning of Kovid. As can be seen, those who did not have the opportunity to grow up in a very positive environment in childhood and adolescence, the people in the neighborhood did not treat them kindly, they may fall into this difficulty. Their lifestyle is not going well, their mental illness is also increasing.


In this situation, when the children are not able to meet the expectations of the parents, the inner fear of the children is intensifying as a result of their frustrating speech. My recommendation is that you receive mental health care without delay. Stress is also making your body sick, and depression is building up in the name of anxiety.


You should consult a psychiatrist and take the medicine as per his advice. In addition, continue to take psychotherapy. The therapist will help you to deal with past troubles that are hidden deep in your mind. There are many types of meditation, relaxation exercises that will teach you how to do it beautifully. You can get counseling by calling this toll free number 080007000 (toll free) between 11am and 7pm. You can also get services from Dhaka Medical College or National Institute of Mental Health.


Why would you give up hope of life at such an age? With treatment, you will be able to move forward with a lot of confidence and a positive attitude.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post